Freeman River Cook Set & Wood Stove Combo
A while back, we were teaching Bushcraft Skills to a group of Junior Forest Wardens, and at the start of the weekend, the group leader had arranged a thoughtful take-away-gift for all the participants and instructors. The gift was a cook set that included a well designed wood burning stove, utensils, carrying bag, plastic bowls, and even a small sponge for washing dishes. Each of us then had the opportunity to take the cook set/stove combo on an overnight camp, and test it out for our own meals. I was so impressed that I contacted the manufacturer and had them produce a custom model for Nature Alive. We call it the Freeman River Cook Stove Combo, named after our favorite adventure playground, the Freeman River.
Nature Alive Custom Design:
- Stainless Steel Cooking Containers (1 liter/34 oz pot & 235 ml/1 cup pan) - for durability and easy cleanup
- Compact folding handles
- Stainless Steel Utensils - knife, spoon, fork
- Two Mesh Carry Bags - one bag for the whole kit, and a second bag to separate the stove and cook pots.
- Interior Storage Room - we removed the plastic bowls(not practical) and the sponge, to allow space to store extra items inside the kit. There is room for paracord, ferro rod, matches, compass, or items of your choice inside the kit.
- Compact Multi Kit - two cooking containers, wood/alcohol stove, utensils, and storage space for additional kit items inside.
- Small enough that it fits in a day pack for EDC(Every Day Carry)
- Large Burn Chamber - in comparison to other compact stoves in this category, it rates high for the size of the burn chamber.
- Stainless Steel cook pots and utensils.
- The access panel allows for easy addition of wood for a sustained burn.
- Lightweight and multi-use stove/pots/utensils/storage space
- All kit components nest together into a small package. 13 cm x 13 cm x 16 cm (5 in x 5 in x 6.5 in)
- The tall height is a bit unstable - requires a solid flat surface to use safely
- The kit works well for 1-2 people, but for larger groups, it is a bit small
Here is a short video that we put together for the Freeman River Stove
Check out this excellent stove review on YouTube by Mark Young.
Please contact us if you have any questions about the Freeman River Cook Stove.